Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Are You a Lone Ranger?

Before coming to work at Stellar Enterprise I had owned a small business. I often worked alone and did not have a lot of experience working in groups. Of course working here I have learned the power and huge advantages of team work. Really and truly I tell you that a team can accomplish so much more than a Lone Ranger.

Even in nature you can see the power of team work. I have recently purchased the Planet Earth DVD Set and saw a pack of lions who normally hunt smaller prey in smaller prides take down an elephant with a huge group. That is not normal. It is so amazing but they knew that extraordinary feat was necessary for them all to survive in their current condition.

As markets change each company must decide what their target market is. What product or service will support their costs of doing business best and which groups of people working together are the right fit for each department.

The residential real estate market has been impacted dramatically and most loan officers and real estate agents should be asking themselves "Where is a similar market that can sustain my current income needs"? Is is leasing, property management, REO services or commercial real estate a new revenue stream we can consider?

The You Are a CEO program teaches CEO's, entrepreneurs and business professionals how to ask the right questions and that is exactly what a successful CEO needs to constantly consider. We have been taught by Mr. Parker that the CEO must set the direction of the company and with out the proper leadership the team can wander individually and lose the unity and power of the team.

Here recently we added two new team members to one of our subsidiaries. I saw the two new team members on their first day getting settled. As the day progressed I saw them fitting in and finding their places. I could have been worried how they would impact us but what I saw instead was the benefits their presence brought.

They had worked together at their former company and they were already united so I watched as they worked together accomplishing what they saw was needed around the office. I think their unity made the transition easier to unify with others.

At the end of the day I was impressed. They had significantly contributed to the group with their improvements. Many of the other team members, one by one, were praising them for their work and appreciating their work. We were all so glad they were here and had the heart to help. This was what I call value-added. They added to us and this benefited the customers internal and external.

This reaction does not happen in every company. The culture we are taught at Stellar teaches us to work together and it does not allow company jealousy or division among the team members.

So my admonishment to all the Lone Rangers working out there is why don't you consider becoming a a team player. For when you are willing to work with a team you can bring down extraordinary success impossible alone. Yes, you still work individually on your part but hook into others when needed!

As for me - oh, yes, my Lone Ranger days are gone. I've changed my spots for good. I have learned that when facing elephants I like the power, safety and security of a large, strong team that has diverse skills. I have learned our survival may depend on the strengths of others and what they may bring down could feed me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like that this CEO program will make a person loose sight of whom they are. I personally don't want to know how to do EVERYTHING in my life to perfection. I want to live to the best of my ability and to be taught by life itself. I think this would be good for people who have no clue or direction in their life and are starting from square 1; recovery type of people looking to salvage their life. This type of attitude doesn't normally work in the cooperate/business world. Food for thought.

Julie Parker, Social Media Executive said...

Dear Anonymous,

I appreciate your view point very much. Thank you so much for taking the time to give your honest feedback.

Our goal is definately not to have anyone lose sight of who they are but rather provide some tools which will help them develop their skill sets.

I did think about what you said and I can see why you said that.

Our target markets are small business entrepreneurs who want to start, manage or expand a small business.

We also do corporate training and consulting.

I will make sure my future comments sound a little less like an AA meeting. (no offense to anyone in the program.)

If I may explain further:

Many new business owners are wondering how do I run a company exactly.

We simply tell them what we have learned from starting over 7 companies in 6 years.

The founder of our program was a national trainer for Toyota and I think he brings an amazingly fresh outlook on business.

I started the program in my 40's and I was a small business owner doing mortage loans. I went through the assessment thinking "I was earning 6 digits and was a great worker" but going through it I found out so much about myself I did not know.

One big eye opener is I did not know how other people percieved me nor how that impacted my ability to work with others.

I would love to give you a tour of our offices and show you the You Are a CEO kit personally.

Please give me a call and we can arrange a time (510) 741-2045.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and Thank you again for your feedback it was very good food for thought.

Julie

Julie Parker, Social Media Executive said...

Hi, It's Just Me Again,

I really appreciated the great comment we got and wanted to add:

The purpose of this post was to make the point that you can accomplish more by working as a team...

Not that we have no individualism or that we will be perfect...

Does anyone else have a different position on this? We would love to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to share that the first section we cover in the road map for the You Are a CEO program is

"Personal Awareness" who you are, how people percieve you and what are your values. When you understand what you value you can understand what makes you have the emotional responses and thought patterns that you do.

In my class we discussed people who may have less than positive thinking and it may be comming from a learned behavior rather than how that person truly feels or wants to respond.