Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Are You Investing & Saving Money?

Michael E. Parker, Terrance Fulton and Elealeh Smith recently delivered a moving financial seminar at the Emeryville Hilton. The event moved me greatly even though I have heard them speak several times. After the event I reflected about the lessons I had learned and about a very big lesson I once learned about about investing and saving money:

I was married at 25 for about 9 years. My husband was not a saver nor very good at handling our finances in general. His earnings were sporadic and spending habits consistently increasing. Despite these challenges I did manage to secretly save and invest 4-10k in various mutual funds during our marriage but by the time we were divorced I was just about penniless.

Starting over at 35 was a challenge but once I started healing emotionally I knew I needed to invest because I now had just one income – mine. I decided to again invest in mutual funds because I felt safe there but I soon realized that I was never going to get rich there with the funds I had and so I turned to real estate which I could buy with very little down.

My first home as a divorced woman was a foreclosure in Stockton California I bought for about 215k which I later sold for $275,000. After that I purchased 2 more homes for $265,000 and $310,000 which both doubled earning me over a half of a million dollars in equity.

The wealth I made saved my life when I was laid off from my job and needed to find a way to survive. With out this equity from my investment I would have been in financial ruin. The real estate market I had long earned an income from dried up and finding a job with a paycheck was a challenge with no other skills.

I faced living over 14 months with little source of income but I had plenty to live on (thank God) due to these investments!

I share this story to show the public that many women will face divorces, job challenges or just unforeseen circumstances and if you don't have any savings or investment vehicles you can be in dire straits.

The real estate market in most areas is depressed but there still are markets globally that will earn equity if you buy right.

I support Lifeskills 411 because they teach our youth the necessary things they need to know in life such as investment skills, financial literacy, budgeting, positive relationships and so forth.

I wish I would have had lifeskills 411 growing up I probably would never have made all the mistakes I did. I urge you to attend our upcoming gala on December 8th from 6pm- 8pm at the Emeryville Hilton so you can learn how you can help our youth... It Takes YOU!

Please care, be counted and be there on Saturday December 8th from 6pm - 8 pm.
I believe women need to learn about finances and investing earlier in life and it starts at home but when home fail, school or program such as lifeskills 411 can give youth the information to lead better adult lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who do you suggest we contact if we want to invest but dont know what to do?

Anonymous said...

When is the next seminar?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say how much the seminar still impacts my life.

Today based on what I leaned I was able to use cash advance checks to pay down and off credit cards that were higher in interest rates.

I never cared that much before the class.

I love the In and Out Cash Management Program. It is simple and very effective.